7 Fabulous Yoga Poses to Increase Your Libido
Yoga tones up our bodies, reduces our stress levels, and increases our energy, but did know that yoga can also help fire up your libido and your sex life?
A study dating back to 2009 showed that a “regular yoga practice improves several aspects of sexual function in women, including desire, arousal, orgasm and overall satisfaction.” It’s a no-brainer then that yoga is a fantastic way to improve your sex life, no?
How Yoga Can Improve Your Sex Life
- Yoga helps increase flexibility.
- Yoga helps maintain a healthy body image and self-esteem.
- Yoga helps you learn and appreciate awareness in the present moment.
- Yoga helps increase libido.
There are many fabulous yoga poses that help increase circulation to our pelvic region, that make the whole area come more alive, resulting in a fun-filled, love-fuelled time under the sheets with your beloved!
Yoga Poses to Increase Your Libido
These poses are for beginners and experienced yogis alike. With regular practice, they’ll improve flexibility and heighten body awareness and self-confidence, all of which make you more comfortable in your own skin, meaning you’re more likely to feel relaxed and uber confident in a sexual relationship.
You can use these yoga poses as a gateway into a deeper experience of loving intimacy and total relaxation. Here are some poses that without a doubt will help you to increase your libido:
1. Cat/Cow Flow
- Start in Tabletop, shoulders directly above wrists, hips over knees.
- Inhale and arch back (Cow), lifting chest and heart away from belly, reaching tailbone skyward.
- Exhale and round back up (Cat), drawing belly into spine, separating shoulder blades.
- Repeat five times.
Benefits: You strengthen the Kegel muscles—those wonderful muscles that contract during orgasm—as you control your tailbone moving from Cat to Cow. Strong Kegels produce better, more controlled orgasms.
2. Bound Angle Pose
- Bring soles together, bending knees and allowing them to drop towards floor.
- Hold onto toes with both hands. Inhale, lengthen torso. Exhale, hinge forward from hips. Aim is to lower head towards toes. This pose can also be done lying flat on your back in a reclined position.
- Hold pose for 10 breaths.
Benefits: Bound Angle is great for low libido, stretching the inner thighs and opening the hips for a wider range of motion. In this pose, people often shed layers of anxiety and tend to feel a natural openness and sense of intimacy.
It improves blood flow to the pelvic area immediately, and where the blood goes, so does the energy and vitality. Circulation and increased blood flow are directly linked to level of arousal.
3. Pigeon Pose
- Bring left shin parallel to top of mat, drawing heel closer to groin.
- Bring right leg into a straight line behind you.
- Slowly lower down to forearms, rest head in arms, a block, or onto mat.
- Hold for 10 breaths before moving to other side.
Benefits: Pigeon is excellent for releasing deep tension in the hips, putting the mind in total chill mode. By bringing your attention to your breath, you move away from your thoughts and into the present moment. This enhances your ability to create a sense of sexual intimacy with your partner.
4. Eagle Pose
- Ground down through left foot as you bend same knee.
- Lift right foot, cross it over left knee, then bring front of right foot around left calf, or wherever you can reach.
- Tuck your tailbone down, slowly sink into legs.
- Inhale arms ahead. Cross left arm over right, fold forearms at elbow, wrap around each other to bring palms together. Lift elbows towards the sky and enjoy the stretch in the sweet spot at the back of the heart.
- Hold for five breaths, release and move to other side
Benefits: Eagle is so sexy, it;s even in the Kama Sutra. When you release the legs, all of the blood comes flooding through the cervix, preparing the whole area for some sweet, sweet, loving!
Holding the pose itself requires poise and steadiness, which is beneficial if you’re stressed. Your mind has to focus, helping you to slow life down a little, allowing you to stay present and enjoy the breathtaking moments to follow!
5. Bridge Pose
- Lie on back, bend knees, and place feet hip width apart and 5 inches beneath buttocks.
- Inhale hips towards sky. Interlace fingers beneath the hips, drawing shoulder blades together and keeping both on the mat.
- Hold for 10 breaths, taking deep inhales and exhales.
Benefits: Bridge Pose not only provides an intense hip flexor stretch, it also tones the vagina and improves orgasms. Holding Bridge is similar to doing a Kegel, because you squeeze the same pelvic muscles.
6. Downward Dog
- Take feet hip width apart, drawing heels towards the floor. With hands spread wide at top of mat, tailbone draws towards back of mat, lengthening through spine and creating an inverted V shape.
- Draw shoulders away from ears, relax neck.
- Hold for five to 10 breaths.
Benefits: Downward Dog calms the mind and invigorates the body, both important ingredients in good sex. This pose not only boosts confidence and muscle tone, but it’s also kind of sexy in itself as your butt is lifting in the air and you’re feeling super strong, long, and relaxed.
You’re also kind of looking straight at your hips and groin and connecting to that area visually, which could be an awesome aphrodisiac. Downward Dog will ease muscle tension in your back and improve overall flexibility.
7. Wide-Legged Straddle
- Sit upright, spreading legs wide apart.
- Press back of legs into floor, pointing knees and toes toward sky.
- Inhale, lengthen torso. Exhale, lean forward from hips, reaching to take hold of big toes.
- Hold for 10 breaths. With every inhale, lengthen torso; with every exhale, extend chest farther forward as you lower down.
Benefits: Like Bound Angle, this move is good for low libido, improving blood flow to the pelvic area and increasing energy and vitality.
Final Exercise: Saving the Best for Last
The most common yoga pose to enhance sexual pleasure is a posture that can be done anywhere. It involves contracting and releasing the muscles of your pubic area as if you want to stop the flow or urine. You can do this 10 times, holding to a count of five each time.