How To Do Extended Side Angle Pose
Summer time is over, my friends. Most of us will be spending all day sitting at a desk. As those long hours pass, we’ll find ourselves slouching and our bodies get all messed up so much that we start carrying more stress on our shoulders and hips. Well that’s no bueno. This is where Extended Side Angle pose (Utthita Parsvakonasana) can be handy to add to your yoga practice to realign and strengthen your body. The upper arm, spine and back leg form one beautiful continuous diagonal line, working and stretching various muscle groups.
Benefits of Extended Side Angle Pose
Extended side pose relieves back pain by lengthening the spine. This asana is a good stretch for your stomach and hips. It strengthens the knees and tones your legs. It also works your deltoids, triceps, lower side external obliques and upper side internal obliques. Utthita Parsvakonasana increases stamina too.
Extended Side Angle Pose Step-By-Step
- Stand with your feet three to four feet apart. Point your left foot forward and turn your right foot out. The arch of your left foot should be inline with your right heel.
- Bend your right knee to a right angle.
- Bring the right side of your body towards the top of your right thigh and bring your right hand towards the ground besides your right foot.
- Actively reach your left arm and fingertips up and over your head, feeling that stretch all on the left side body from your toes to the tips of your fingers. Gaze is up toward your right arm.
- Here you can open your chest by using a little bit of energy from your right elbow pressing into your right knee and your right knee pressing into your elbow with equal effort. Work with balance.
- Stay here for five deep breaths and inhale as you come up to standing and repeat on the other side.
Make sure you’re not over extending your bent knee. The knee should be directly above the ankle. Keep your back leg firm and straight and engage your quads. Root down through the knife pinky edge of that foot to keep it stable.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to comment below or contact me through my Facebook page or Twitter. I’ll be super delighted to help! Have fun loves!