The Health Benefits Of Turmeric
The MD Anderson Cancer & Research Center in Houston, Texas recommends turmeric to patients and non-patients because of its high anti-carcinogenic properties. Yes – one of the top cancer centers recommends the consumption of Turmeric!
Benefits of Turmeric
So why is that? Well, turmeric has a bunch of health benefits, that might very well surprise you. Among the benefits of turmeric are that it is anti-Inflammatory, anti-Carcinogenic as well as cleansing and detoxifying for your body. So according to scientists, turmeric can actually help with a large number of diseases and ailments, such as arthritis, colic, flatulence, digestive disorders, joint pain, skin problems and indigestion. On top of that turmeric is known to support cellular regeneration and bladder as well as urinary tract health.
Reap The Benefits Of Turmeric
One way to add turmeric to your diet is by drinking Golden Milk. There are many recipes out there for this drink. My version is quick, easy, and tasty! I usually drink this before bed, but the ginger and cinnamon can be stimulating, so if you have trouble sleeping save this drink for earlier in the day.
Homegrown Golden Milk Recipe
The Ingredients (Preferably Organic)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 8-12 ounces Almond Milk
- Place spices in bottom of a pan and pour just enough milk over to be able to make a roux with a fork or whisk. (This is similar to making a roux for gumbo or a flour roux like when making gravy – basically a paste)
- On Medium heat slowly add the remaining milk, stirring or whisking constantly, to fully incorporate the spices.
- Heat through – Do Not Boil.
- Pour into a cup and enjoy!
Tips & Hints
- Heat to the relative temperature that you’d have hot chocolate – easy to sip yet with comforting warmth
- Start off with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric if you aren’t used to its flavor. As you acclimate, increase to 1 teaspoon or beyond.
- Feel free to change the proportions of the spices to add more to your taste. If you increase exponentially add more milk. I usually don’t even measure the spices but just pour some in.
- If you use Vanilla Almond Milk, this drink will be sweet. If you use plain or original, add a big of local, organic honey, coconut sugar, or organic raw agave nectar to your taste.