Traveling alone in a foreign country might sound intimidating, but solo travel can truly be the best gift you ever give yourself.
Traveling solo is a life-changing experience—it’s an opportunity to make new friends, immerse yourself in the local culture, and get acquainted with the most genuine parts of yourself.
But branching out and gaining self-insight aren’t the only benefits to traveling alone. There are plenty of unexpected perks of traveling solo that are just too awesome to pass up.
1. Eat Whatever You Want—Whenever You Want—Without Judgment
Gelato for breakfast? Why not?
2. Master the Art of the Selfie
Bonus points for selfies taken in unreasonably risky places!
3. Become Best Friends with Complete Strangers
“We’ve been best friends for like 36 hours now!”
4. Wake Up On Your Own Schedule
Is there anything better than waking up without an alarm? No. No there’s not.
5. Skip Your Friend’s Boring (or clichéd) Bucket List
Don’t want to spend all day getting the perfect forced perspective shot of the Eiffel Tower? Now you don’t have to!
6. Re-Wear Your Clothes Without Anyone Noticing
Those yoga pants totally smell clean enough to wear again. Besides, you’ll never see most of these people again!
7. Learn to Be Mindful in Any Circumstance
Mindfulness is great for those “I’m lost and no one speaks my language” moments you’ll encounter during your travels.
8. Avoid Annoying Conversation at Mealtimes
"Where do you wanna eat?" "I don’t know. Where do you want to eat!?”
9. Bragging Rights
“Yeah, I totally did Bangkok on my own—it was no big deal.”
10. Find a New Perspective That Can Last a Lifetime
If you can travel the world on your own, you can do just about anything.