Stand on one leg, lift the other, wrap this arm under that leg, bend a knee, grab that foot, lengthen out, knee up, shoulder back — welcome to Super Soldier, the pose most of us have only seen on Instagram, many of us have never heard of before and very few actually know how to do.
I had never even considered trying the pose, chalking it up to another crazy IG inspired variations, until a teacher walked us through the bendy pose in a random class I happen to be in. And while mine didn’t unfold as beautifully as the images I’d seen, I was surprised to find myself in the pose.
Want to give it a try?
Warm up with a few sun salutations, hip and shoulder openers, forward folds, thigh stretches — you’re going to want to be properly prepped — and get ready to play twister. Warning: this pose is the flexible!
Follow these 10 steps into Super Soldier Pose
- Standing with your feet wider than your hips, bend your knees and forward fold.
- Walk your fingertips back behind your ankles and nestle your ribs between your thighs.
- Drop your right shoulder behind your right knee and walk your fingertips out to the right.
- Free your left arm and place your left fingertips out in front of your left pinkie toe.
- Press into your left fingertips and straighten your left arm.
- Lean onto your right foot as you twist your torso to the left to look under your left armpit.
- Shift your weight onto your right foot and slowly begin lift your left leg up behind you.
- At the top, bend at the knee and use your left finger tips on the floor to open up the left side of your body.
- Keeping the bottom knee bent, bend your right elbow inside your right knee and grab the top foot (you’ll probably find it somewhere near your outer right hip).
- Once you have a hold of your top foot, press firmly down through your standing foot to straighten your standing leg and lengthen your top knee toward the sky.
Did you make it?! Don’t stress if you didn’t, even the most flexible usually don’t wrap their brains around the funky pose the first time or two. And remember these crazy poses are just for fun (and for freaking your friends out).
Let me know how you did in the comments below!