Food sensitivities have pretty much required I be a professional recipe modifier! I’m happy to report that I’ve healed my leaky gut, SIBO and candida issues with whole foods diet and lifestyle changes such as meditation, conscious thought control and positive expectation.
I currently have only a have few common food sensitivities remaining (gluten, wheat, diary and yeast) that I wouldn’t eat anyways for other health reasons. I continue to modify and share healthier recipes for a digestive friendlier diet. Playing with healthier substitutions is now more of a passionate pastime than a chore. My only rule of thumb is they have to not only be healthy and allergen-free, but they also have to be de-lic-ious!
This recipe is free of most allergens (NO wheat, gluten, dairy, egg, soy, yeast or GMOs!) and is also grain-free and Special Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) friendly, provided the pumpkin is organic with nothing added!
It should yield about 12-15 medium muffins. I keep mine in the freezer and just take a couple out at a time to thaw in the fridge.
Quick and easy!
- 4 cups hazelnut flour (I used Bob's Redmill)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons organic cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayan sea salt
- 3 small-medium sized organic zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup Farmers Market Organic Pumpkin (they sell it in a box or BPA free can)
- 1/2 cup honey (I used White Gold)
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable shortening (I used Spectrum, non-hydrogenated)
- Combine the dry ingredients, then add shredded zucchini and set aside.
- Combine pumpkin, honey, melted butter and blend together.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon into parchment paper lined muffin cups and bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes.