I will be the first one to admit that when I first started seeing these green juices and smoothies jumping out all over the place I swore that there was no way they could taste good and the whole juicing frenzy had to be some kind of fad that would go away with time. Well about two years and a vitamix later, juicing seems to be still in full swing and now I am a converted green juice skeptic who loves to see what my beloved vitamix can whip up for me.
The keys I have found to juicing vegetables or just blending them away in my vitamix is knowing which vegetables go well together, and knowing how extreme I can get without making a disgusting tasting drink. The key is to like the end result so that you want to drink all of those amazing antioxidants and nutrients. However, if your smoothie tastes like muddy grass, no one is going to be enjoying that health cocktail.
So here's a step-by-step guide to help you make a green smoothie that's not only healthy, but is also truly delicious:
- First begin by picking your liquid. I usually will use unsweetened green tea, water, almond milk, or coconut milk.
- Next, choose what leafy greens you would like to add into your smoothie. Choose from options such as kale, spinach, spirulina, or romaine.
- Add your healthy fats, fiber, and fresh fruit for a taste of sweetness.
- I will usually use avocado or coconut oil for my healthy fats. Both of these options blend easily and add a ton of nutritional value.
- Then if desired I will include chia seeds or flax seeds which are great for added fiber and antioxidants.
- Fresh fruit is usually a must in my smoothies, however because I am very sensitive to sugar I try to keep the fruit as low as possible by only adding one-two fruit options and keeping the amounts relatively small. Usually I will include half of a banana, blueberries, mango, pineapple, apple, pear, strawberries, watermelon, kiwi, or grapes.
- If you are feeling really adventurous try adding lemon, ginger, turmeric, raw cacao, or a dash of cayenne pepper to your smoothie. These added spices and essences can bring a kick to your smoothie that no cup of coffee would ever accomplish.
- Lastly think about adding in some protein powder or a spoonful of nut butter for some added protein. Making this little addition can help you to feel fuller throughout your day.
Green smoothies or juices are a phenomenal way to get more vegetables into your diet without having to eat copious amounts of salad. Take your smoothie with you on the go in the morning, or drink one throughout your day in the afternoon. By adding one item from each step that I mentioned, you will be sure to have a knockout green smoothie that will change any prior wearisome thoughts you had about them to begin with.
So drink up. Enjoy. Go Green!