After a sweaty Vinyasa class I am always looking for something healthy and nutritionally dense to replenish my post-yoga body. I’ve been very into anti-inflammatory foods recently as I’ve begun to spice up my yoga practice with more dynamic movements (lots of hopping in and out of postures and core work!), and this Raspberry-Beet Protein Smoothie is perfect to offset any muscle soreness that might result.
Avocados, raspberries, beets, and spinach are all great for inflammation – they also happen to taste great when blended together! See the recipe below with some general health benefits for each ingredient I chose to use.
- 1/2 cup beets (cleanses liver, purifies blood, anti-inflammatory, and is a great source of iron)
- 1 small handful of raspberries (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant properties, and increases fat cell metabolism)
- 1/4 small avocado (high in fiber, anti-inflammatory properties, and healthy fats)
- 1 scoop plant based protein powder – Natural or Vanilla flavored (25 grams first thing in the morning to stay fueled for hours)
- 1 small handful of dandelion greens (high in calcium with many liver-detoxifying properties)
- 1 big handful of organic spinach (contains more than a dozen different flavonoid compounds that function as anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer agents, and Vitamin K for strong bones)
Ingredients below are optional…but highly recommended!
- -Ginger (anti-inflammatory and anti-nausea properties, and improves digestion of nutrients)
- Maca (balances hormones, increases energy- rich in B-vitamins)
- Lemon (contains alkalizing and antibacterial properties)
- MSM Powder (increases the body’s ability to detoxify on a cellular level, anti-inflammatory, and naturally increases energy)
- Probiotic Powder (great for digestive health and immunity)
Just throw and blend everything in and that’s it! You already have an awesome protein smoothie that’s perfect for after you roll up your mat. If you do decide to try it out, let us know and post a comment below!Image credit: EatLoveDrink