A spiritual journey doesn’t have to take you to the top of Mount Athos or to the source of the River Ganges. A true spiritual journey is a quest of discovery into the heart of who you really are, and why the world is as it is.
It’s much easier to take the straight road to your destination without diversions, building up your stockpile of possessions, and without asking the uncomfortable questions. But if you never stop to search the undergrowth, or breathe in the scents of the roadside flowers, what happens when you come up against serious problems? When you feel so adrift that you need to start from scratch?
A spiritual journey helps provide the resources you need to live fully and become a force for good in the world.
Mantras to Guide Your Journey
No one says a spiritual journey is simple or stress-free—the path is winding, there are pitfalls underfoot, and you’ll always see another route that seems to lead you off somewhere more interesting.
When you are tired or feel like giving up, choose a mantra or two to guide your passage. The word “mantra” is Hindu for “word” and these words are designed to change you. If you want something to resonate with you whatever the day or the situation, “Om” or “Aum” is the trusty go-to. Om is ideal for meditation or at times when you want to quiet your mind – it’s a sound that includes everything in the past, present, and future, as well as everything that exists beyond these three forms of time.
However, I have to note that you don’t need to use Hindu words, or words in a foreign language that you trip over with your tongue. Your spiritual journey is your own, and your mantras are intensely personal – whatever the language. There’s a lot to be said for short-and-sweet mantras that have a modern kick – they work like a charm for that crucial transformative effect.
What you feel in your heart, what speaks to you, what brings about a positive shift in your being, no matter how small – this is a mantra for spiritual development and growth. If you need some inspiration, take a look at these words of beauty and truth.
1. I am learning to trust the journey even when I do not understand it. ~Mila Bron
2. Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Mahatma Gandhi
3. We don't grow when things are easy; we grow when we face challenges.
4. Getting lost is never a waste of time.
5. Stop holding onto what hurts and make room for what feels good.
6. Cherish the people in your life who are supporting you in your growth and change.
7. The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday. ~Steve Maraoli
8. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here.
9. Everything you can imagine is real. ~Pablo Picasso
10. Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home. ~Matsuo Basho
Taking a spiritual journey is to know that you cannot remain unchanged, and that whatever you encounter on your path is relevant.
Wherever you are on your journey, take heart from these mantras. Repeat as and when you need them—over and over and over if necessary—so that their message is imprinted on your soul, giving you strength and purpose to keep putting one foot in front of the other to find your true purpose and identity.