Gluten-free, vegan foods have recently been spotlighted across the internet, by nutritionists, insta-famous yogis, and some compelling documentaries. For many of us new to the world of plant-based eating, the words ‘gluten-free’ and ‘vegan’ probably bring thoughts of restriction and boredom. But quite the opposite is true.
The surge of gluten-free, vegan eaters has pushed people to be more more creative in the kitchen, manifesting in a whole lot of healthy delicious-ness that I present to you today. Whatever type of eater you “classify” yourself as (or maybe you don’t), these three gluten-free, vegan recipes scream innovation and lavish flavors.
1. Sweet Potato, Chickpea, and Spinach Coconut Curry
Curry is one of my favorite go-to meals for something easy, delicious and free of dairy and gluten just as it is! This yummy curry recipe from Angela Liddon’s book is warm and filling with just the right amount of spice, making it a perfect winter meal.
2. Creamiest Mushroom Soup
This mushroom soup is another winner especially with the cold winter days creeping up. Warm your belly with this nice, healthier option from Good Saint without sacrificing the rich, savory flavor of a hearty soup.
Ingredients (Serves 3-4)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ lb assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup sherry (good quality)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2-3 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¾ cups soaked cashews
- ¾ cup water
- Soak your cashews in a medium sized bowl while you prepare the soup.
- In a large pan, sauté the garlic, onion, and mushrooms until the oil has mostly evaporated and the onions and garlic become soft.
- Add the sherry and cook the mixture on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes. Pour in the vegetable broth, salt, pepper, and thyme, and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, blend cashews with water to create a thick cream. Add cream to simmering soup and remove from heat.
- Using a high speed blender, carefully blend to desired consistency.
3. No-Bake, Chewy Peanut Butter Oat Cookies
And of course, no food post is complete without a mouth-watering dessert. Blissful Basil perfected the balance of sweet in these chewy, oat cookies. This recipe is a favorite because of its simplicity, and the cookies are a great on-the-go snack, any time of day.
Ingredients (22 cookies):
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (gluten-free)
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large pot or pan, whisk together the brown rice syrup and coconut oil over high heat. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat and simmer for 1 minute (set a timer), whisking constantly to prevent burning. After the heat is dropped, the mixture will continue to boil a bit.
- After one minute, remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the peanut butter, vanilla, and sea salt until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the rolled oats and stir until evenly coated.
- Let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Then use a lightly greased spoon to drop heaping spoonfuls of the mixture onto the parchment-lined pan. Repeat, using all of the mixture.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until the cookies are well set and lose their tackiness.
Ready to give these recipes a whirl? Let us know how it goes, and share your favorite recipes too, in the comments below!