Ladies, let’s be honest – most of us probably have a love-hate relationship with serums. It’s such an essential part of our skincare regime and it does wonders for our skin…but that hefty price tag has us living out of cardboard boxes! (well, not entirely, but we get the picture!)
Well, here’s some great news – now we can have the benefits of an amazing serum without breaking the bank! The best part: it’s organic, sans preservatives and sans parabens!
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 1 dried snow fungus (around 3 inches in diameter) – you can get a pack for less than $5 in Asian supermarkets
- 5 cups of mineral water
- A cheese cloth or coffee filter
- A small pot for boiling
- A clean jar
Don’t be scared by the name “snow fungus” – it’s basically a mushroom that has been cultivated for over 2000 years in Asia. In Chinese medicine, it has been traditionally consumed for its health benefits including improving the function of our respiratory system and reducing high cholesterol. However, snow fungus is also a beauty elixir, as it is packed with collagen and improves our skin tone since it stimulates circulation.
- Soak the dried snow fungus in warm water for around 20 minutes. It will expand in size. Squeeze out the water and give it a rinse.
- Cut around the center of the snow fungus and discard the center. Place in a bowl and pour in the mineral water.
- Boil on medium low heat for about an hour. Check on it every 30 minutes. It will be ready when the water is reduced to a serum like texture.
- Once the desired texture is reached, let cool. Then strain thru the cheese cloth into the clean jar and give it a good squeeze. Don’t miss out on the collagen essence!
- Ready to use! Store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Bonus usage tips for extra serum
- Try soaking cotton pads into the serum and place it over the face as a sheet mask. Remove and massage the essence into the skin after 20 minutes.
- Try adding in a few drops organic essential oils for extra benefits: tea tree oil for oily skin, chamomile for sensitive skin, etc!
Enjoy ladies…Cheers to guilt-free beauty!