This is sweet potato dish is an easy lunch to make for a busy day or a nourishing dinner to fix when it's cold outside! The creaminess of the sweet potatoes mixed with the slight crunch of the greens will leave you feeling satisfied and healthy.
I really like baked sweet potatoes, but the time they take in the oven doesn't always work with my schedule. So I've started making creamy sweet potatoes instead.
You simply boil 1 inch pieces in water for about 10 to 15 minutes until they are soft and ready to be mashed. I use an immersion blender but a regular blender or food processor will easily make them just as smooth.
Sweet potatoes are a great source for potassium, vitamin B-6, vitamin C, vitamin D, iron, and magnesium. Hemp seeds will give you omega-3 and omega-6 fats, lots of fiber, and magnesium. The greens provide you with a great boost of calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin C!
Super Power Sweet Potatoes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 to 5 large leaves of greens (kale, collards), chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Juice from half a lemon
- Put the cut sweet potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water.
- Over high heat, bring it to a boil and turn down to medium. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the greens in a steamer basket and bring water to a boil. Steam the greens for about 5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, put them in a medium bowl if you are using an immersion blender, or right into the blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Mix mashed sweet potatoes in the ghee until melted. Put the greens on top of the sweet potatoes and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Top with hemp seeds.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Image Credit: CBC.ca